Monday, October 29, 2012

a little halloween tutorial for you!

halloween candles
The last halloween craft...  and, I thought I would share with you how to make these!  I made these last year too!  I was cleaning up my craft room and found more of these little peat pots.  sooo.. thought Id give you a fun quick project to do!
obviously, starting with the 2&1/2 or 3 inch pots.  cut into the shape you want.. or leave as is, if you want.  I leave frankenstein with a flat top!
12
Paint the inside of the pots.
3
then paint the outsides.  When they dry, paint on your faces!  when your faces dry, paint a coat of glaze over them.
45
78
When they are dry, use a hole punch to punch holes on each side and add wire or pipecleaners for handles.  Add some rick rack or ribbon trim at the bottom.  Or, anything else you might want to add.  Ive made them before with paper collars and little candy corn charms hanging. Ive also tied ribbons and trims from the handles on some others I've made. 

910
Then for the finishing touch, add some battery operated votive candles and hang them on your halloween tree!  You will love them.  Arent they cute!?
11 
Happy MOnday everyone and Happy Halloween!!  
I dont know what this storm will be bringing to us, but we are in its path.. however, not as bad as those right along the coast in new jersey and nyc.  We are right near lake ontario.  It will get pretty ugly here I'm sure though. I worry about the wind and the old trees near my house.  And, I hate the thought of losing power.  I'm just praying for safety for everyone that is involved!
I shall return.. unless we lose power.
huggles all!!
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

23 comments:

Unknown said...

Love your peat pots!! So cute!! And also sending good thoughts and prayers that you and your family will be safe!

chris

My Vintage Mending said...

Viv...you need to get rid of the big girl job and do these crafts full time...so flipping cute...your painting is spot on...smiles...Renee

Kai said...

They are BEYOND cute - they're FABULOUS, Viv! I'm already thinking about doing some for next year! Thank you for ALWAYS being generous & sharing the tutorials. I learn SO MUCH from you! LOOOOOVE YOU! Have a happy day!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

These are so cute, Vivian! You are so talented and artistic with the faces. I am crap with that! : ) Stay safe! I have family on Long Island {and that is where we are originally from}, so I will be hoping it is not a damaging storm.

Cindy said...

These are so cute! tried making some last year after seeing them on your blog, but I can't get the faces right. LOL!
I hope all goes well for you guys and the storm. I have a son living in DC and they are ready to be home bound for awhile.

Lynn said...

Your decorations are adorable, love the cat:@)

LBP said...

Cute, cute, cute! Filing that craft away for next year..
Thanks!

Linda

Theresa said...

Praying for all of you with the Storm coming! CUTEST little crafties:) LOVE THEM! Have a blessed day, HUGS!

Susie said...

Vivian, You will be in my prayers...I will pray for all those in the storm's path. I loved your pots..so cute. Smiles, Susie

Musings from Kim K. said...

Another craft to add to next year's list!!! LOVE THEM!! I'm addicted to peat pots and these are simply adorable. It helps that you are amazingly talented with the paint brush too. Stay safe, dear friend.

Debby said...

Very cute. You paint very well. Hope you stay safe in the storm. Not sure what will happen here as well. The wind scares me as we loose big trees and power everytime with high winds. Hate loosing power. Worried about the East Coast. I will be glad when it is over and we are all safe.

Diane Mars said...

Darling! I guess it is your Favorite Holiday you sure do come up with wonderful Halloween Crafts! Stay Safe!

NanaDiana said...

Oh my gosh! Those are SOOOO cute! Now I wish I had more time between now and Halloween! xo Diana

Diane said...

Using peat pots is such a great idea! I made little containers like this years ago but made the "pots" out of paper mache. Need I say "time consuming??" Next time will head to the garden center. Thanks for the tip!

momto8blog said...

what a fun craft!! love it!!
we here in centra Pa are seeing Sandy...but just rain rain rain....praying for the east coast....
I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.
stay safe!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much Vivian for sharing this cute idea with us. The next time my husband goes to the garden center ..... Your faces are fabulous. Have a great Halloween. Are you getting the terrible rain and wind? Be safe. Elizabeth

RetroSandie said...

Viv, what a cute idea!!! They really look like the old fashioned ones. You did a fantastic painting job on the faces, too. Very, very cute. Thanks for sharing the how-to!

Hope you are safe, warm and dry this evening!!!

Hugs, Sandie

martha brown said...

These are so cute! You always do such a great job with your painting. My all time favourite Christmas ornament is a snowman that you made for a swap a few years ago. I don't really have the talent or the patience :)

CatieAn said...

Hi Viv
am back from a very long blog break and always love to see your new creations. I pray you are safe and all your loved ones are as well
catie

vintage grey said...

These are super cute!! Thanks for sharing!! Stay safe!! xo Heather

kandeland said...

SEE! I told you that you make the BEST faces! xo

harriette said...

Im so happy to be looking through your blog and to find these! Thank you so much for sharing! These are most definitely on my to do list!!
Super cute!!Great blog!! :)

Unknown said...

I finally found your blog, amazing grace!!!! you are so talented that it's crazy.

Love your peat pot Halloween, looks easy but then the faces? I am terrible at drawing anything,
so maybe get a template?
So, I'll try it next year, hahaha

Love your faux cupcakes too. sound easy for you but it takes patience.

Thank's Viv for always sharing your cool crafts, very generous. Do you have a shop?
Blessings to you